Tuesday 23 June 2015


Invective- Billy Collins 



from the title, where do you think we are going?
Rome. invective is a form of classical libel used in Roman polemical verse.

*Libel-type of poetry from the renaissance.*

what sort of trip do you think this ill be?
a trip through time, alone. to a simpler place where we feel more at peace with ourselves.

after the first stanza where do we seem to be going?
ancient ROME.

what sights do we see? 
parallel columns
grassy fields

where do we go next?
western ninth century Ireland.

who goes with us? 
we go alone.

do we meet animals?
badgers, fish, deer and birds

I love the contrast between the warm Rome and cold Ireland. this expresses the different types of people there are, the different locations people bring themselves to. 



by Elsa Rottjers 




Invective- Billy Collins


Turn away from me, you, and get lost in the past.
Back to ancient Rome you go, with its parallel columns and syllogisms.
Stuff yourself with berries, ea lying on your side.
Suck balls of snow carried down from the Alps for dessert.

I don’t care. I am leaving too, but for the margins of history,
To a western corner of ninth century Ireland I go,
to a vanishing, grey country far beyond your call.

There I will dwell with badgers, fish and deer,
birds piercing the air and the sound of little bells.
I will stand in pastures of watercress by the salmon-lashing sea.
I will stare into the cold, unblinking eyes of cows.


3 comments:

  1. I wish you would tell us more about your journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your analysis of the weather....but this is still very brief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how the poet chose to go to Rome to find peace. Rome is very culturally rich and has a lot of philosophers in its histories so Rome represents a place of wider knowledge seeing metaphorically what others failed to see.

    ReplyDelete